Well who’d have thunk it, last weekend we sailed deep in C rig territory with a side order of horizontal rain. This weekend? well its was better, much much better.
Round 5 & 6 of the Dragon TT kicked off with the 65’s launching into naff all wind but whatever, look at the sky!
The racing was a mixed bag of drifty beats, runs that turned into beats and then back to runs and everyone was nearly always in better wind than you. Conditions got better throughout the day which allowed the full quota of 16 races to be sailed. With the best winds predictably arriving about 3:43pm. Honesty I can’t remember much else about the racing yesterday maybe I have sun stroke?! Look at the sky!
- 1st John Tushingham
- 2nd Derek Priestley
- 3rd Buzz Coleman
Here’s the Old School score sheet, dig in 😉
Today was much like yesterday only with slightly bigger boats, longer courses, better wind, less races and more miles walked. We had 28 boats on the water, 28!
There were some banazi moves and strange tactics employed at times but then we were all half crazed with the sun and the walking. Considering the size of the fleet the racing was conducted in good spirits & despite some shenanigans the same old faces went home with the wine.
Big Thank You’s
- First off, big shout out to all the new faces we saw over the weekend. Fresh blood is exactly what we need.
- Thanks to Judith Baldwin for the scoring, truly the best in the game.
- Thanks to Eric ‘Get Back you lot’ Watkinson for running the starts.
- Thanks to all the Fleetwood members who chipped in throughout the weekend. And especially to Peter Ilses for cleaning up our new championship marks, fixing up the rescue boat and manning it all weekend. Cheers mate.
- And lastly to the 3 generations of the infamous Priestley clan for running the kitchen. Where else would you be served battenberg and scones ‘off of a’ posh trolley at the prize giving? 🙂
Finally let’s get stuck in to some serious math! As befits any proper Fleetwood MYPBC race reportage, here’s the weekends competitor mileage data report, sponsored by Garmin* and 3 bottles of Brewdog Punk IPA.
5 miles each x 23 competitors (DF65 Saturday)
8 miles each x 28 competitors (DF95 Sunday)
= 339 miles (ish)
Which is about same distance as Fleetwood to Plymouth! Thats flipping bonkers right?!
*I made up the bit about garmin